CARMEN M. CARTER, M.S., PHR
Over 20 Years Business & Industry
Leadership Roles In Fortune Companies
Energy, financial Services, Manufacturing, Food Services, Academia,
Non-profit, Government, Community-Based, Media, Management Consulting
Just-in-Time HR & Diversity Business
Partner hired to work with leaders to design, direct, and execute full cycles
of complex, multi-site human resource,
compliance and diversity frameworks, conduct assessments, investigations,
DOL audits, Affirmative Action Plans (Establishment & Functional), and
interface with external agencies. Accounting
& HR professional highly skilled in HR analytics. Seasoned interpreter of government
regulations, Fair Employment Practices, Uniform Guidelines, Title VII,. charge
In-take interviews and fact-finding investigations, including priority charge
handling, statistical analysis, preparation of recommendations and position
statements for Corporate General Counsels, EEOC Staff Attorneys, and
investigative units. Dynamic trainer and public speaker.
- Planned, led and closed client DOL
audits and mitigated risk to > $1.8 Billion in government contract revenue.
- Forged external relationships in community and developed
enterprise-wide diversity strategies to attract, recruit, and retain talent for
cost savings of $6M.
- Developed “On Demand” system to mitigate compliance risk,
reduce cycle time, identify talent pipelines, gaps, and areas of risk by at least 50% within the
first 90 days.
- Developed and
implemented 1 sustainable competency-based mentoring program to increase
diversity in recruiting and talent pipelines, and still achieving results today
(10 years later).
- Created and implemented the1st Employer
EEO & AA Internal Audit and Reporting System (Compliance Center of
Excellence) resulting in annual compliance training, 100% audit rate (at desk audit phase), 24-month
DOL audit moratorium, recruitment compliance, applicant tracking system,
compensation equity, and mitigation of risk
to > $3.8 Billion.
- University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, WI - Masters in Industrial &
Labor Relations / M.S. (With Honors)
Thesis: Diversity and the
Empirical Structure of Affirmative Action & Implications for Human
- Jackson State University - Jackson, MS - B.S. Accounting (With Honors)
- HR Certification Institute –
Professional in Human Resources (PHR)
¨ Development Dimensions International – Certified
Trainer / Targeted Selection Facilitator
- University of Phoenix – Certified Faculty (Graduate
& Undergraduate School of Business)
Honors & Affiliations
- International Mentoring Association - Board of Directors (2002 - 2010
- Who’s Who in Black Houston (2007) / Texas Diversity in Leadership Award (2006
- Rolling Out Magazine – 40 Under 40 (2006) /YMCA
Minority Achiever (2004)
- Federation of Houston Professional Women – Woman of
- Diversityinc.com - Corporate America’s Top
Diversity Leader Profile (2002)
- Leadership Houston Class XXI
& Publications (Select List)
- Carter. Diversity on Demand – Implementing
Talent Management & Inclusive Recruiting Strategies. 2012.
- Carter. Diversity Unleashed –
Working Together United in Purpose. 2011
- Carter. The Inclusion
- Carter. Discrimination, Lies,
& the EEOC. 2008
- Carter. Developing a Recruiting
Strategy – Easy as 1-2-3. 2007.
- Carter. Do It Yourself
- Carter. Bridging the Racial
- Carter. Affirmative Action &
Diversity – What Every Manager Should Know About EEO Compliance. 2005. Carter. Inside Diversity – What
You Don’t Know Could Really Help You.
- Carter. Affirmative Action and
Diversity – The House Divided. 2004.
- Carter. Multicultural Talent Development – A
Blueprint for Inclusion. 2003.